Friday

Life. Upgraded. (Day 25)

11/06/09
Day 25 of 182

As I have mentioned before, I go outside to do my cardio workouts. It's fall and the air is crisp, the leaves are turning and you can't help but notice the epitome of change. I enjoy autumn. Autumn and spring are my favorite seasons. The season is changing and slowly, so am I.

One of the most enjoyable components of my outdoor workouts, particularly my power walks, jogs and hikes is turning on my i-pod and just zoning out. It allows me to let my mind wander and ponder various things that are going on, or have gone on in my life. have a particular workout mix that I composed of various artists, anywhere from The Cars, to Madonna to (and my personal favorite of all time) The Foo Fighters. When I first began my walking, it was tough. My asthma made me wheeze and cough and I couldn't go very fast. One thing that I began doing was timing my steps to the beat of each individual song, thereby varying my intensity and since I had various artists the beats varied greatly. Now, I am on auto pilot and don't need the beats to time my steps, at least, I am not consciously doing timing my steps. The point is I zone out and just enjoy the contemplative time.

I have unfortunately have lost a few family members. My father passed away six years ago and my youngest brother passed away two years ago this December. I have been faced with the aspect of mortality and as I see various people when I am on my walk such as the elderly, disabled or the skinny person sitting at the bus stop puffing on a cigarette, I r ealize more and more that I am too young to be feeling old. I have (a generally) healthy body and it really is a shame to waste any of youth being uncomfortable with how you look or feeling lousy. I truly believe that this is true for anyone at any age who has the opportunity to enjoy their life more. I met a seventy something man the other day who was doing just that. Losing weight and getting healthier. He told me that he was an young man trapped in an old body. He was inspiring. I was and am inspired.

And so I continue my journey toward my goal and realizing what a gift life is and how we should do everything we can do to live our life in an upgraded fashion.

Activity
3.2 miles (I saved a dog that almost got hit by a car, so I had to cut my cardio a bit short so that I could return it to its owner)
Bicep curls
Leg Lifts
Squats
Abdominal lifts
Calf Raises

Meals
Cheerios!
6 oz milk (2%)
6 oz protein drink
6 oz salmon
Salad
Cashews (unsalted)
8 oz Gatorade

1 comment:

  1. Those darn senior citizens are the ones you have to watch out for, I find myself competing with them @ the gym...while on the treadmill, I will look over and see a 70+ year old man next to me running and I will be killing myself trying to keep up with him.....and he doesn't stop running, so I don't stop. Thinking to myself if he can do it so can I, considering I am 40+ years younger...the next day I was hating life, so very sore! That's what I get for trying to out-run a senior :)

    ReplyDelete