Tuesday

6 Week Mark (Day 43)

11/24/2009
Day 43 of 182

Six full weeks of regimented exercise complete. It is hard to believe that I have been able to do this for six weeks! I am proud of myself for sticking to it, but I know that I have a LONG way to go. This blog has been integral in my ability to stay motivated and really allows me to see my progress. As I read through my posts, I am able to clearly recall the days, the hurdles and the triumphs with clarity and in rich detail. I would advise anybody embarking on a Health Journey to do the same. I was talking with a friend of mine the other day about her weight loss goals and issues and I recommended that she keep a food journal to get started. Apparently she hates food journals. I inquired as to why and she explained that in her opinion it was like a scale in that a short list meant a "good" day while a long list meant a "bad" day. OK, I can identify with that to a degree, but I honestly think that it adds a level of accountability to one's mission. Recently, my husbands doctor had mentioned that he began one and came to the realization that there were days that he consumed close to 5000 calories! Holy Cow!

When I reflect on my meals and when I eat my meals, I don't "Count" raw vegetables as part of my caloric calculation, merely because the thermic caloric burn in digestion outweighs the actual calories. There are days when I eat three salads, (always with dressing on the side) which in size is a lot but in caloric value, minimal. It's all about choosing the right foods that maximize satiation and nutrition, but minimizes calories and fat. Sooner or later, the choice is second nature and you begin to learn, approximately, how many calories are in what.

I have mentioned that I work in a steakhouse. Last night there was a gentleman who ate dinner in my restaurant. He ate a salad with 1.5 ounces of blue cheese dressing, a 6 oz sirloin, 4.5 oz of lobster, a baked potato with cheese, butter, sour cream, bacon bits and chives. He also drank 2 16 oz light beers and ate a piece of chocolate cake with ice cream.
Salad: 550 calories
Steak: 300 calories
Lobster: 150 calories
Potato: 300 calories
Beer(2): 260 calories
Cake: 1500 calories
Ice Cream: 200 calories
Total: 3260 calories in ONE MEAL!!!!
That is nearly two days worth of calories for me. It is really incredible how quickly it adds up. A food journal is really really helpful.

I measured myself today. I am still incommunicado with my scale. (STUPID SCALE!) Going in to it today, I knew that I shouldn't expect to see the dramatic 11.5" lost that I discovered on week three, but I did expect to see results.

I have lost an additional 6.5". An additional 1/2" from my each thigh, 3/4" from each of my biceps, 1/2" from each calve, 1" from my bust, 1.5" from my waist, 1" from my hips and 1/2" from my neck. Like I said, not nearly as impressive as before, but still moving toward my ultimate goal.

Activity:
25 minute (4 mile) bike ride
20 minutes (1.5 mile) walk

Meal:
3/4 cup Cheerios with 1/2 cup milk
8 oz Gatorade
Special K Protein Bar
Yumm Bowl
Salad with Poached Tilapia
8 oz protein drink
Nonfat Yogurt
Iced Tea
17 Pretzels

3 comments:

  1. have you tried the skinny cow ice cream sandwiches?? They are really good, I love the chocolate peanut butter ones! Justin even likes them! Try them if you haven't already! Low calories and low fat -Tina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Sabrina! Pretty exciting to see your improvements. Keep working! (and that meal! incredible! I think people have no ideeaaaaaa how much they eat!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sabrina, You are doing awesome! I thought I'd pass along something that I heard about nutrition. The nutritionist for the Duck athletics came to one of the 20-30 Club meetings to give a presentation. What I took away from it one was one thing he said "If the food was not in the book of Genesis then don't eat it". Wow, so simple but so true! Yes, Skinny Cow Ice Cream is very yummy and very low calorie but what exactly is in it? Is it real food or chemicals? I don't know, maybe I'll look into it. But, I just wanted to let you know about the book of Genesis advice! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete