Monday

Body Types? (Day 35)

11/16/2005
Day 35 of 182

Just this last week, I really began seeing a difference in my body composition. I began to feel as though I personally saw and felt a difference. My clothes fit more loosely and I wasn't able to wear a few of my old tops! (WOW!) I had also purchased an Adidas workout top (XL) that was super on sale without trying it on and actually found that it was TOO big, which hasn't happened in, like, forever. . . .Which was AWESOME!

Today, I was online and was searching various weight loss questions that I have had and I came across an article about weight loss, body image and body type. I found a couple of interesting factoids. I had read about body types before and thought that I should share what I had found.

There are three basic body types: Ectomorphs, Mesomorphs and Endomorphs. The least found is Ectomorphs who, by definition are tall and lanky and have a difficult building muscle and fat mass. Mesomorphs are generally shorter and stockier. They have a difficult losing fat, but gain muscle easily and excel in power sports. The third body type is that of an endomorph, which happens to be my body type. These people generally carry more body fat and deal well in times of starvation which may have been beneficial to our ancestors, but not so great for me. They tend to be pear and apple shaped. It is impossible to change what is genetically inherent to you.

The media has set unrealistic expectations for both men AND women. Currently, models weigh 23% less than the average woman. And we have all heard the "Barbie" comparison stating that if a woman had Barbie's proportions she would be 5'9" tall and weigh 11o pounds, which is unhealthy. Many women may not even menstruate due to malnutrition. Barbie's measurements would be 39-18-33; completely unrealistic. In comparison the body composition of a GI Joe toy places the warrior with 55 inch chest and a 27 in bicep, making his bicep almost the same circumference as his waist.
We all have an unrealistic expectation of what we SHOULD look like. The trick is to determine what is best for you. I have a goal in mind that I am working toward. I am trying to focus on my actual size versus weight. I realize now that I am trying to lose FAT not necessarily
weight and need to place focus on the difference between the two. It is a difficult to discern the difference, but there is a difference.

Activity:
3.3 miles

Meals
1/2 cup Cheerios with 1/4 cup milk
8 0z protein drink
6" tuna sandwich (from Subway) with half the normal amount of tuna.
1 bag of Baked Lays
17 pretzels
Iced tea
(dinner, not sure what yet)

No comments:

Post a Comment