Tuesday

Operation Don't Be Fat (Day 78)

12/29/2009
Day 78 0f 182

Well, as I mentioned yesterday, I received the NIKE plus thingy for Christmas and yesterday I calibrated it for my walking and today I decided that I wanted to calibrate it for running. I must confess, I am a terrible runner. There are some people out there that look as though they glide through the air and appear to have been born to run. Folks, that is not me.

When I was a child, approximately 8 or 9 I was on my school's track team and at that point of my life, I enjoyed running and was actually pretty good at it. I was tall for my age and had long, slender legs. I had a track meet and gave it my all. . . I crossed over my lane and I was disqualified from the competition. I would have come in 2nd place and not only was I embarrassed and angry with myself, my track coach called me a lot of terrible and inappropriate things. That was the moment and the day that I gave up track. It is truly amazing how much of an impact a good or in this case bad coach and affect someone and their personal expectations.

I return to present day. I have integrated short bursts of running into my daily walks (against my doctor's advice because of mu bad knee) because as my heart and lungs get stronger, they require harder exercise to my system elevated. To calibrate my Nike gadget, I had to set a distance and the shortest distance available for running was 1/2 mile. I honestly did not think that I could run and entire half mile without stopping. I had my doubts, but figured that all I could do was give it my best. I went out to the track and gave it a try and low and behold, I did it. I was able to run the half mile without having a coronary. One problem, I forgot to activate the calibration, so I will go tomorrow and do it again. It was a small but crucial victory and even more evidence that my work is paying off. I am sure that there are many people out there that would laugh at my excitement over a half mile, but for me it is HUGE.

So today, I am setting a new goal, with my ultimate goal eventually participating in a marathon and one day, a triathlon. My first step though is a 5k and my husband and I are going to participate in the Shamrock run on St. Patrick's Day and we will progress from there.

No simple secret today!

Activity
2.5 miles
20 minutes climbing bleachers

Meals
Oatmeal
Special K protein drink
protein bar
non fat yogurt
8 oz Gatorade
fish of some sort
?????

No comments:

Post a Comment