Wednesday

Customer Service Pros and Woes (Day 64)

12/15/2009
Day 64 of 182

As I have mentioned before, I work for a large restaurant chain. I have also mentioned that I travel around to various locations. I have said, and continue to maintain, that everyone should work in a customer service based industry such as food and beverage or retail because these types of industries bring out the best and worst of people; both customers and employees.

Coming from a small town and a family with limited funds, I started working (besides babysitting) as soon as I could obtain a work permit. Before the permit, I worked along migrant workers picking berries in the summers and babysitting. I began hostessing around 15 and stuck with it here and there through college. I bought my first car, a navy blue Ponitac Phoenix hatchback for 800 dollars after three months of babysitting. (Most likely the ugliest car ever made)

I didn't fully realize one's abiltiy to be properly demeaned until I ACCIDENTALLY spilled coffee on a cash register which resulted in totally frying the system. I was called stupid, and incompetant among other things. I was embarressed and cried profusely. The manager yelled at me in front of the ENTIRE restaurant. I was 15 and mortified. Before restaurants, I was an introvert and a wall flower. Inherently, I am still that person, but I have had to learn to be outgoing and personable.

Anyway, the economy sucks in case you were not aware, and right now people, including myself, expect more for their dollar. Both in terms of service and product. I am constantly confronted with unhappy people more often than I would like to admit and it really begins to take a toll on the soul. Today, I was able to turn two seperate groups of people from unhappy with problems to estatic and calling my supervisor. I have been so consumed lately with unhappy people that I forgot how great it was to make people happy. It was refreshing.

I know that this has NOTHING to do with my current weight loss goal, but it is a huge part of my life. Being gracious and patient reaps increible rewards and it is humbling to have the opportunity to make someone's day better and leave a lasting impression. I feel thankful that I experienced today, even with all of the fustrations that went with it. Pay it forward.

FYI: I am SOOOOOOO sore from my arms and upperbody workout, it hurt to even drive!

Activity:
None

Meals:
6" Veggie Sub
Bag baked Lays
1 small salad with almonds and pecans
7 oz salmon
1 bun
1 beer

No comments:

Post a Comment