Monday

Day 76 December 27th

12/27/2009
Day 76 of 182

Today, I am heading to a holiday party at my biological father's house. I have mentioned this part of my family before, but feel compelled to expand on it a bit today. My mom got pregnant with me while in college. A shotgun wedding ensued and another child then divorce quickly followed. I had very little contact with my biological father until about six years ago, after I lost my adoptive father, Chris. As a child, I felt a tremendous amount of guilt when I received messages or gifts from my biological father and did not want to betray my mother or adoptive father. It wasn't until I lost him, that I began to realize the importance of forgiveness and family. It hasn't been an easy journey, but the key to our success has been the absence of expectations. I didn't need a father figure and I wanted to get to know him as an individual. In return, I have gained a tremendous amount. I met my three half brothers, one of which has since passed away and gained two step brothers and a step sister as well as a step mother. I am truly blessed and happy.

Healthy Secret Number 6:
What You Do Matters

Health is not like the lottery. We are not randomly stricken with diseases. While some health outcomes are completely beyond our control, many diseases are affected by our decisions and behaviors.

Cancer is by far the number one fear of people in terms of disease and many people believe that they have no control over whether or not they will be stricken with cancer, but leading research has concluded that many cancers can be linked to lifestyle choices such as leading a sedentary lifestyle, high fat diets, over exposure to sun (big surprise) and the use of tobacco (bigger surprise.)

I find it interesting that just getting moving can decrease your likelihood of developing cancer. The point is that you do have control over your health, your life and your death. My youngest brother did die of cancer. He never smoked, never drank and was very active. He was diagnosed with an EXTREMELY rare form of cancer that affects 1 of every 100,000 cancer patient. His was genetic and I know that there are many cancers that are, so please don't misunderstand overall statement on the issue.

Activity
None

Meals
1/2 subway tuna sandwich (butt load of veggies)
1 bag baked lays
iced tea
4 glasses of wine
fish sandwich
slice of cheese cake

1 comment: