Tuesday

ODBF DAY 50!


12/01/09
Day 50 of 182

Fifty days and counting! This means only 10 more days remain until I reach the 1/3 mark of my goal. I am really going to put extra effort into my diet and exercise routine so that when I weigh in and take my measurements again on December 11th, I will know that I kicked my own ass to the best of my ability. No excuses. No "free" days on my diet. No "off" days from exercise. I resolve to stick to this short term goal. I am depending on my readers and cheerleaders to keep me on track!

The other day I referenced a comment posted by my sister in law about eating foods only found in the book of Genesis. I promised that I would look into it and I found a few things out.

1. The book of Genesis states that in the beginning, God mandated that humans and animals should eat a vegan diet. God stated that he had provided enough plants and seeds for human and animal subsistence.

2. Later, after the Great Flood, God allowed Noah to eat meat, but only because the world was covered in water and there wasn't an option for a plant based diet.

3. Throughout the Old Testament, there were a few modifications made to the diet and the Kosher diet was created. Eating cows, mutton (sheep) and chickens were permitted while pigs were off limits. Fish with scales were permitted, but bottom feeders like catfish along with crustaceans and mollusks were not. Eggs and cheese were allowed, and grains and fruits and vegetables were obviously an integral component. The kosher diet dictates that all food was treated with reverence and animals used as food had to be raised and killed humanely.

4. I found a lot of reference to "What would Jesus eat?" I found that (no surprise) Jesus ate a Mediterranean diet. He ate fish on a daily basis, breads, fruits and vegetables, olive oil and wine. Beef was permitted, but was saved for special occasions and was most likely consumed just once a month. It has been widely accepted that the Mediterranean diet is the most heart healthy and balanced way of eating out there.

Now, if one was to interpret the "Book of Genesis" diet literally, then things like Tofu, Garden Burgers and other newer, heart healthy foods would be off limits, but as my husband pointed out, that it makes more sense to think of it in terms of the ingredients of the foods we eat. For instance, eliminating artificial colors, flavors and additives makes more sense. This way of thinking and eating fits pretty well into my current diet mantra. Many people ask me why I have chosen to stop eating animals with fur. Morally I feel conflicted consuming animal products because of the way that animals are treated and cultivated. There are so much cruelty and indifference in the meat production industry in general. I have never been a huge meat eater to begin with and unless I know, without a doubt that the animal was treated and killed humanely, I will choose to refrain.

Activity:
3.5 miles
2.2 mile bike ride
(Total cardio time 1.5 hours)

Meals
6 inch veggie sandwich
sliced apples
1 bag Baked Lays
16 oz Gatorade
1 piece of whole wheat toast with peanut butter
1 grilled portabella mushroom
1 southwest salad/dressing on the side
2 cups air popped popcorn
2 kettle one/soda

2 comments:

  1. You are amazing and so determined. I wish I had your determination! Reading about the book of Genesis way of eating was interesting. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to dinner out tomorrow night but not to the sushi. I hope there are other things on the menu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure admire your determination. I wish I could be as determined as you. Reading about the book of Genesis way of eating was interesting. I am looking forward to dinner out with you and Jeff tomorrow night but not to the sushi. I hope they have other things on the menu.

    ReplyDelete