Monday

At This Point

I wasn't always overweight. When I was a teenager, I was 5'11" and weighed 158 lbs. I was stick thin and in hindsight, I viewed myself as fat. Like many women, with age came pounds. Slowly my weight crept up. When I was about 22, I lost my extra weight and found myself at my personal "healthy" weight which hovered around 180 lbs. For my height and body type 180 lbs is perfect. . . .hence my desire to lose 60 lbs.

I went to the grocery store today, on an empty stomach and it is absolutely true what they say: Try to avoid the grocery store when you are hungry! It makes walking past that delectable snack that much harder.

One thing that I have learned from my limited experience is that you really can't depend on those around you to help keep you motivated. It has to come from deep within your soul and your ambition. When I first began this process, I practically castrated my husband because he wasn't saying the things that I felt like I needed him to say. He (it seemed at the time) appeared to be apathetic and non supportive. I wasn't being fair.

It occurred to me today while I was preparing myself for my last 25 crunches that this was definitely on me. I found myself rationalizing the fact that I didn't REALLY need to do that last set. What was the difference anyway? Then I closed my eyes and pictured my goal and voila! The drive to do my last set magically arrived.

I guess what I am trying to say is looking to others to provide motivation will not help you stay motivated. Your friends and family are there for support, but not necessarily incentive. You have the power to change your life, you have the power to stay motivated.

1 comment: